Friday, October 17, 2008

Honesty, Parklife and Gloop

I am sitting, cross-legged in bed as usual. Swaying to Journey's 'Don't stop believin'. Now its the guitar solo and my foot is tapping outside the cover. Outside its beautiful, blue skies and birds tweeting. This week has gone really fast. Monday's lecture, Renaissance dragged a bit and because of the constant mention of Race I ended up humming Black or White throughout, imploring people sitting near me to join in with the chorus, 'if you wanna be my baby, it don't matter if your black or white, nanananan nananananan hey!'

Wednesday's class, 20th century literature, I have no idea what the lecture was about because I was reading the set-text, which horrified me. In the seminar I sat as everyone else chatted-on, casually throwing in a 'why?' or a comment on the lecturer's resemblance to Mr Parklife. Yesterday I went to the cinema, and saw House Bunny. I know, I know. It was cute, predictable but slightly weird in places. Some jokes were also a bit over the rating. In the cinema, we were the only ones for the previews and we delighted in being Kings, until selfish people came in and we had to stop shouting about the trailers, put our feet down and stop taking photos of us throwing our arms in the arm, semi-ironically.

Amazingly, gorgeous Caroline from Second Hand Shopper awarded me a 'Honest Blogger' award. I am going to cling onto this, until she realises the error.

My life is so stupidly geeky, I can only wish I was dishonest about it. Part of the award is having to post 10 honest things about myself.

Okay, here it goes:

1. I have an actual addiction to the Internet. When I wake I immediately roll over and find my laptop. If my connection goes, I get annoyed and keep clicking on and off. On holidays I mourn it, read relentlessly and spend a great deal of time in overpriced Internet rooms.

2. I drink everything through a straw. I also sometimes imagine the straw is the pipe in Charlie and the Chocolate factory, where Augustus Gloop gets taken.

3. I am really thrifty, not cheap or mean, but money-conscious. I even deliberate over buying magazines, sweets. I feel guilty spending any money.

4. I feel embarrassed telling people I took GCSE Dance as an option.

5. I have panic disorder.

6. The Byron poem, Stanzas for Augusta, always makes me cry. I never cry over poetry, but its just impossibly beautiful. This line in particular always gets me,


'It hath taught me that which I most cherish'd

Deserved to be dearest of all.'

7. I adore little happy moments. The moments when everything is good and wonderful. Sometimes its an amazing song, someone says something, my essay gets a good mark, sun is shining, no line for the bus...a new dress.

8. A Level result day was possibly the best day of my life. I remember it so clearly and when my best friend called me as I was leaving for school, and said Cambridge said they would take her, I sobbed for her and when I arrived and got my own results, sobbed again. Unfortunately, an AWFUL photo marks this occasion. I look deranged, with a bad haircut, a weird face and an Aqua jumper on.

9. I have a horrible quality, where I recommend things to people, shows, music and then dislike it if they go on about it, as if they like it more than me. Its really petty and childish.

10. The whole reason I've wanted to be a teacher since I was 5, is not because I like power, the art of learning, wanting to be in control - is because I adored Matilda as a child and wanted to be Miss Honey. The perfect teacher.



Now I feel vulnerable. Someone hold me?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

i am trifty (not cheap) as well! and yes i enjoy all of life's little happy moments as well :)

Anonymous said...

I will give 10 honest things too, maybe that will make you feel better :)

1. I am way too emotional about most things, and my impulses often get me in trouble. (They
cause good things too, though. =] )

2. I can't sleep without something to cuddle (usually Todd or my teddy).

3. Life haunts me.

4. I am nowhere near as good at art/music/writing as I would like to be, and nowhere near as fit, but I am far too lazy to do anything about it.

5. My family drive me CRAZY.

6. There is a very small part of me that still loves and cares about one of my old friends, who also happens to be an ex. I can't decide whether or not I should apologize to him.

7. I am a bum.

8. I can't find a job, and it's getting me down a lot more than I'd like.

9. I feel guilty when spending money too (unless it's on someone else), and also when things are bought for me, even when it's my birthday. But I'd be upset if I didn't get bought anything. ;)

10. I have NO IDEA how to achieve the style I like the most. D: